- News applications editor, The Seattle Times — Nov. 2012 – Present
- Associate producer, The Seattle Times — June 2011 – Nov. 2012
- Blogger, 10,000 Words — Oct. 2010 – Present
- Product Designer, Publish2 — Dec. 2009 – Jan. 2011
- Designer, PressThink — Sept. 2010 – Oct. 2010
- Designer, Spot.Us — Oct. 2009 – Present
- Creative Director, CoPress — May 2009 – February 2010
- Graphic Designer, Cal Poly Housing — October 2008 – December 2009
- Online Editor, Mustang Daily — June 2008 – December 2009
- Blogger, Center for Innovation in College Media — December 2008 – May 2009
- Webmaster/reporter, Mayberry Broadcasting Co. — June 2007 – December 2008
- Reporter, Southern Sierra Messenger — May 2006 – August 2007
News applications editor – The Seattle Times
November 2012 – present
I work within the newsroom and with counterparts in new media and IT to help conceive and build tools for presenting news and information in innovative ways, with an eye toward growing audience and engagement. More about this role →
- WA state deficient bridge map (breaking news)
- Readers’ best state parks map (UGC)
- Legislative guide & Election Guide
- Budget interactive
Associate producer – The Seattle Times
June 2011 – November 2012
As an associate producer at The Seattle Times, I split my time between producing the seattletimes.com homepage and leading various web projects for the newsroom.
- Local Olympian database (Event coverage)
- News partner curation tool (Internal workflow tool)
- Word Cloud tool (UGC)
Blogger – 10,000 Words / MediaBistro
October 2010 – Present
Writes blog posts about trends, news, and tips in online multimedia storytelling, specifically in how it relates to the design process.
Designer – PressThink
September 2010 – October 2010
As a freelancer, media critic Jay Rosen hired me to redesign his widely-read and respected journalism blog.
Product designer – Publish2
December 2009 – January 2011
Envisioning and executing the future of news. Lead design initiatives for the journalism start-up that builds collaborative web tools for newspapers. Responsibilities include creating user interface concepts for web app, writing specs for new functionality, completing QA testing for new functionality, designing in-house marketing materials, writing blog posts, doing market research.
Designer – Spot.Us
October 2009 – Present
Worked with journalism revolutionary David Cohn to continually redesign Spot.us, an experimental community-funded journalism site. First redesign in Oct. 2009, second redesign in Jan. 2010. Responsibilities include: product planning, mockups, CSS implementation.
Creative director – CoPress
Privately Held; Newspapers industry
May 2009 – January 2010 ( 9 months)
CoPress was an awesome start-up led by college students at different states across the country. Our main goal was to empower student news organizations to take ownership of their online ad revenue and rapidly innovate by controlling their own digital experience. We moved student newspapers from proprietary content management systems to open-source software like WordPress and Drupal. We also educated students on transparency, innovation, streamlined workflows, and general digital-first awesomeness.
As the design associate, I was the go-to person for all things design, multimedia, and interactive at CoPress. I played a central role in design and multimedia education efforts including, but not limited to, mentoring clients on the basics of website design, preparing educational videos on the importance of web platforms, and leading webinars on different elements of design. I also consulted various news organizations during the redesign process when they switched to their brand-spankin’-new CMSes and helped design some open-source plugins we used to empower the digital editorial workflow.
Graphic designer – Cal Poly State University University Housing
Educational Institution; Higher Education industry
October 2008 – December 2009 (1 year 3 months)
Assists professional and graduate student staff to develop online resources and print materials to support educational initiatives for on campus residents.
• Produce publications, posters, flash presentations and programming resources in print and web formats.
• Design promotions and educational resources for a variety of Department based activities such as alcohol and drug free social alternatives, staff recruitment and education presentations.
Online/mulitmedia editor, reporter – Mustang Daily
June 2007 – December 2009 (2 years 7 months)
Edit online content, create still graphics for print and interactive graphics for the Web, create multimedia content for the Web, layout pages of sports section
Blogger -Center for Innovation in College Media
Online Media industry
January 2009 – May 2009 ( 5 months)
As the CICM blogging intern, I wrote weekly about trends in college media and wrote tutorials for student journalists to take back to their newsrooms.
Webmaster – Mayberry Broadcasting Co.
Broadcast Media industry
June 2007 – April 2009 (1 year 11 months)
Reporter for KTIP AM 1450 news radio station. Responsibilities included reporting mostly government, crime and education in the southern part of central San Joaquin Valley Calif. Remotely worked as the station’s webmaster, designing the website and posting podcasts of the day’s news.
Reporter – Southern Sierra Messenger Newspapers
May 2006 – August 2007 (1 year 4 months)
Covered local government, education, and art beats for a weekly newspaper in Sierra-Nevada foothills
California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo
Bachelor of Science Journalism
Activities and Societies: Mustang Daily, Technical Association of Graphic Arts, University Housing, College Based Fees Committee